The Art of Cartier
- El arte de Cartier.
- Organised by
- Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza.
- From 24 October 2012 to 17 February 2013.
- Moneo Galleries. First Basement. Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, Madrid.
- Guillermo Solana, Artistic Director of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum.
- Paula Luengo, Exhibitions co-ordinator of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum.
- Jorge Varela, designer.
- Sponsored by
- Cartier Archives © Cartier
- Nick Welsh, Cartier Collection © Cartier
- Nils Herrmann, Cartier Collection © Cartier
- Marian Gérard, Cartier Collection © Cartier
- Number of works:
- Catalogue Summary
There are two editions of the catalogue, in Spanish and English. They include a principal essay on the Cartier Collection by Pierre Rainero, Cartier’s Image, Style and Heritage, plus texts by Guillermo Solana and Jorge Varela, the exhibition’s designer. The catalogue also includes reproductions of the 422 works on display, all shown from different viewpoints and with details.
In addition, each section of the catalogue is headed by explanatory texts. Like the exhibition, this catalogue presents the Cartier Collection for the first time in Spain: a collection of jewels, watches and exquisite accessories that is organised here both thematically and stylistically, from the Garland style of the late 19th century, the introduction of platinum, the rise of the Art Deco style and the influence of Oriental cultures to the most avant-garde creations inspired by fauna and flora.