The museum will be displaying a group of ten works loaned from the Museo Nacional de Escultura in Valladolid. They will be juxtaposed on the basis of thematic or chronological similarities with works from the Permanent Collection, creating a route around the second floor galleries.
A wood carving of Saint Mark (1501-25) attributed to Felipe Bigarny will thus establish a dialogue with a painting of that saint by the German painter Gabriel Mälesskircher; displayed opposite a tondo by the Mannerist artist Beccafumi is the high relief of The Holy Family with the Infant Saint John the Baptist (ca.1535) attributed to Gabriel Joly, its lines suggesting that it was also conceived as a tondo; an anonymous bust of The Emperor Charles V as a young Man (ca. 1520) is shown next to a portrait of that sitter by Lucas Cranach the Elder; while the sculpture of Saint Anthony of Padua (ca. 1560-75) by Juan de Juni can now be seen alongside The Virgin and Child with Saint Rose of Viterbo by Murillo from the museum’s collection.