Thursday, 14 October 2021
09.30 Welcome by Guillermo Solana (Artistic Director, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid)
Topic I. Gestation and Consolidation of the Collection.
10.00 Lecture 1: Profit and Passion: Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza on His Way to Becoming an Art Collector by Johannes Gramlich (Research Associate, Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen, Munich).
10.45 Lecture 2: My Years at the Villa Favorita by Marco Grassi (former conservator at Villa Favorita).
- Stuttgart, 5 May 1961: Prerequisites and Consequences by Ingeborg Henze-Ketterer and Wolfgang Henze (Galerie Henze & Ketterer - Ernst Ludwig Kirchner Archiv - Archiv Stuttgarter Kunstkabinett Roman Norbert Ketterer, Bern).
- A Distinctive Approach to Collecting by María Dolores Jiménez-Blanco (General Director of Fine Arts, Government of Spain, Madrid).
Juan Ángel Lopez-Manzanares (Curator, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).
Topic II. Artistic Guidelines and Trends in the Baron’s Collecting Activity.
15.00 Lecture 1: Hidden Gems: A Visit to La Moraleja by Roberto Contini (Curator of 16th and 17th-century Italian and Spanish Painting and 17th-century French Painting, Gemäldegalerie, Berlin).
15.45 Lecture 2: Going ‘Off Piste: Interview with Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza, July 1989” by Peter Vergo (Emeritus Professor, University of Essex).
- A Rembrandt Puzzle by Ivan Gaskell (Professor of Cultural History and Museum Studies, Bard Graduate Center, New York).
- Why the Russian-Avant Garde? by Nicoletta Misler (Professor, Università degli Studi di Napoli L’Orientale, Naples) and John Bowlt (Professor, University of Southern California, Los Angeles).
Paloma Alarcó (Chief Curator of Modern Painting, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid) .
Friday, 15 October 2021
Topic III. Anticipating Blockbusters: The Exhibitions of the 1980s.
10.00 Lecture 1: The Cultural Diplomacy of Baron H. H. Thyssen-Bornemisza: Personal Recollections of My Tenure as Curator of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection from 1979 to 1986 by Simon de Pury (former chairman and chief auctioneer of Phillips de Pury & Company, private dealer, art adviser, photographer and DJ).
10.45 Lecture 2: Private Collection, Public Space: The Evolution of the International Touring Exhibitions by Susan Moore (Associate Editor of Apollo magazine and author of a forthcoming biography of Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza).
11.30 Testimonies (video): Mikhail Piotrovsky (General Director, State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg).
- The Tradition Continues: Exhibitions in Lugano and Abroad in the Second Half of the 1990s by Maria de Peverelli (Executive Chairman of Stonehage Fleming Art Management).
- Small is Great by Elisabeth Hauff (former curator at Villa Favorita, Lugano).
- À la Recherche du Baron: The 1988 Royal Academy Exhibition by David Ekserdijan (Professor, University of Leicester).
Guillermo Solana (Artistic Director, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).
Topic IV. A Destination for the Collection.
- Moving to a New Home by Lucia Cassol (former Head Registrar, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).
- A Great Collection in Search of a Permanent Home by Edmund Peel (Director, Edmund Peel Fine Art Consulting).
- Why Villahermosa Palace? by Rafael Moneo (Architect).
- A Look at How the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection Came to Spain by Miguel Satrústegui (Professor, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid).
- Back to the Future: Legal Protection for the Collection’s Acquisition by Fernando Pérez de la Sota (Professor, Universidad Autónoma, Madrid).
Evelio Acevedo (Managing Director, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).