Thursday, 14 October 2021
10.00 Welcome by Guillermo Solana (Artistic Director, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid) and Juan Ángel López-Manzanares (Symposium’s Director).
Topic I. Gestation and Consolidation of the Collection.
10.30 Lecture 1: Profit and Passion: Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza on His Way to Becoming an Art Collector by Johannes Gramlich (Research Associate, Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen, Munich).
11.15 Lecture 2: My Years at the Villa Favorita by Marco Grassi (former conservator at Villa Favorita).
12.00 Lecture 3: Creating a Great Collection. Edmund Peel (Director, Edmund Peel Fine Art Consulting)
Topic II. Artistic Guidelines and Trends in the Baron’s Collecting Activity.
15.00 Lecture 1: Hidden Gems: A Visit to La Moraleja by Roberto Contini (Curator of 16th and 17th-century Italian and Spanish Painting and 17th-century French Painting, Gemäldegalerie, Berlin).
15.45 Lecture 2: Going ‘Off Piste: Interview with Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza, July 1989” by Peter Vergo (Emeritus Professor, University of Essex).
- A Rembrandt Puzzle by Ivan Gaskell (Professor of Cultural History and Museum Studies, Bard Graduate Center, New York).
- Why the Russian-Avant Garde? by Nicoletta Misler (Professor, Università degli Studi di Napoli L’Orientale, Naples) and John Bowlt (Professor, University of Southern California, Los Angeles).
Paloma Alarcó (Chief Curator of Modern Painting, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid) .
Friday, 15 October 2021
Topic III. Anticipating Blockbusters: The Exhibitions of the 1980s.
10.00 Lecture 1: The Cultural Diplomacy of Baron H. H. Thyssen-Bornemisza: Personal Recollections of My Tenure as Curator of the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection from 1979 to 1986 by Simon de Pury (former chairman and chief auctioneer of Phillips de Pury & Company, private dealer, art adviser, photographer and DJ).
10.45 Lecture 2: Private Collection, Public Space: The Evolution of the International Touring Exhibitions by Susan Moore (Associate Editor of Apollo magazine and author of a forthcoming biography of Hans Heinrich Thyssen-Bornemisza).
11.30 Testimonies (video): Mikhail Piotrovsky (General Director, State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg).
- The Tradition Continues: Exhibitions in Lugano and Abroad in the Second Half of the 1990s by Maria de Peverelli (former gallery director Villa Favorita, now Partner and Executive chairman Art Management, Stonehage Fleming).
- Small is Great by Elisabeth Hauff (former curator at Villa Favorita, Lugano).
- À la Recherche du Baron: The 1988 Royal Academy Exhibition by David Ekserdjian (Professor, University of Leicester).
Guillermo Solana (Artistic Director, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).
Topic IV. A Destination for the Collection.
- Moving to a New Home by Lucia Cassol (former Head Registrar, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).
- Why Villahermosa Palace? by Rafael Moneo (Architect).
- A Look at How the Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection Came to Spain by Miguel Satrústegui (Honorary Professor, Universidad Carlos III, Madrid).
Evelio Acevedo (Managing Director, Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid).